Monday, August 19, 2013

Don’t be a Lemming!


By Ana Hernandez
A week ago, my daughter took me for lunch at a local hamburger joint that I have been excited to try. Few things beat a truly great burger, in my opinion. It was OK. Which is my way of saying the experience was overwhelmingly disappointing. The experience prompted me to write this blog.

In our modern world, we are constantly under attack: A constant barrage of information….Twitter feeds, ads louder than the TV program you are watching, blogs (oops!), emails, etc. We, I believe, have become more dependent on what we are told to believe/think/eat/buy than what we want to believe/think/eat/buy. Have you ever seen anyone risking life and limb at an after-Thanksgiving electronics sale, cars stopping incoming traffic just to go through the drive-through window at the only-coffee-in-the-world coffee store, waiting in sweltering heat to eat at that restaurant recommended by a television chef? No? Huh.
I’m getting to the point. I promise.

In every city, in every neighborhood, there are eating establishments that are fantastic. They are small treasures filled with the aroma of homemade food and service you can only get from stores and restaurants that are what small-businesses are all about: Providing excellent products, excellent value and unequaled service. Because they care.

I have a customer who carries his iPad when he goes to dinner at out-of-the-way restaurants, takes pictures and videos and shares them with his co-workers, and me. It’s awesome!  I look forward to trying his treasured spots.

Last Sunday, my daughter took me to breakfast. (I have awesome children!) We ventured off the beaten path. Breakfast included what had to be the best breakfast potatoes and corned beef hash I have ever had. I ordered eggs over-easy, and, wonder of wonders, they were! The service was friendly without being intrusive. Perfect.

I would like to recommend Café du Marché (http://cafedumarche.net/) located at 11700 San Jose Blvd., Mandarin South Shopping Center, Jacksonville, FL 32223.
Phone is: 904.886.6999.

Finally, I get to the point! You don’t have to be a lemming when you go out to eat; get off that line inching ever so close to the precipice. Do yourself, your friends and your families a favor. Explore your city and your neighborhoods. Find those tiny gems embedded in a huge world. You’ll be rewarded.

Speaking of homemade food, Ana Hernandez offers recipes, cooking videos and her signature spice blends at http://spice-blends.com

3 comments:

  1. Here's another newsflash: Eating at many popular food franchises equates to being served a TV dinner. These restaurants offer cuisine that comes precooked and then frozen. Your order isn't so much cooked as nuked. Don't get me started on all the additives and preservatives they contain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my line of work I eat most of my meals out. So I'm always looking for new places to eat. With the advent of social media I get lots of recommendations from my friends regarding new restaurants. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love finding the hidden gems of the food world.

    ReplyDelete