Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Social Media is Not a Condiment

I was having dinner with friends. There were six adults at our table. At one point, I realized that five of us were involved in our phones....emailing, playing Words with Friends, checking the Internet. I looked around the restaurant, and realized that the vast majority of other adults there were also doing something on their cellphones. I thought: "My grandfather would have had a heart attack!" I also thought of how alone each person seemed to be.

When I was a child, my grandfather came to the dinner table with his suit on. We were all expected to use proper manners. (Can you believe it? We had to behave!) You might think that this was stifling for me as a child; it was not. It is a memory I treasure: Enjoying dinner with family and discussing the events of the day was the social networking of the pre-smartphone era.

When we attach ourselves to our electronic devices at the dinner table, I think we divorce ourselves from inter-personal relationships and lose precious time with those we love. These impersonal devices might connect us via social media, but social media has done nothing to improve our social skills!
Cindy Post Senning, who writes for emilypost.com puts it this way:
"If you're having dinner with friends and family, be with them...When I was asked recently by Sara Rimer of The New York Times, 'What about text messaging at the dinner table?' it was an easy answer – 'It’s not good manners!'
If your meal is just about nourishment and you are by yourself in the kitchen, text away. No problem! But if you’re having dinner with friends and family, be with them.
As I told Sara, 'The family meal is a social event, not a food ingestion event.' Even if your phone is in your lap, the people with you all know what you’re doing when you’re eyes are focused on your lap. Just because it’s a quiet activity (unlike a phone call), you’re not fooling anyone. And then everyone’s attention is on the fact that your attention is on your phone, not on them."
It might be a simple matter of re-thinking how we interact with one another. We might remember, too, the difference between courtesy and rudeness.

Let yourself enjoy your meal as well as your time with family and friends. Dinner time is not a time for impersonal devices. Look across the table and smile at your child, hold your partner's hand, talk with one another. You might be surprised at how much you enjoy your meals once again. Social media is not a condiment.

Ana Hernandez is the owner of All Spiced Up (www.allspicedup.net)
 
Related articles
Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

  1. Sadly, we are losing the importance of interacting with each other in the forward march of progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been an advocate of social networking for many years. However, whenever I meet someone for coffee, lunch or dinner I shut off my phone so that I can connect with the person I'm visiting with. When I get home, I put my cell phone on the dresser and try not to touch it till the next day. Ana is right, we need to be here now, in the moment, focused on the people we are with. Leave the social networking to a specific time of day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I take someone to a restaurant I leave my smartphone in the car. I mean do you want to eat or do you want to work? Technology can just be another ball and chain if you let it get the better of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems to me that many social media addicts have lost most of their social skills.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe we will begin to see more studies on the effects caused by desensitization and inability to relate and interconnect on a "human" level that this addiction has contributed to. You are signaling everyone else at the table or trying to have a verbal conversation with you that they are far less important than checking that last text message. If we raised the bar on what it means to be "human" again, perhaps we wouldn't have incidents of people walking into movie theaters and schools and assassinating innocent strangers. If you are not in the "now" where are you?

    ReplyDelete